The process was one unlike anything I have done before. It was really nerve racking to not have a script or any certain outline we were going to base things off. In this way though, things seemed a lot more fresh and spontaneous. I haven’t had an opportunity to create as much as I did in this show in a long time. Another part of the process that struck me was learning about how people try to understand another culture. It is so hard because all we want to do is put culture in a box and a put a label on it. We ask sweeping general questions that can’t really be answered, and we try to understand other cultures using ours, which never works. Trying to experience a certain culture by in a sense mimicking it seemed like a better way than others to understand a culture. This is not to say that no we all know what it’s like to be Indian, but it was just a different way to glean certain realizations we may have not otherwise. Another part of this process that was really awesome, was working with my peers. It was awesome to see all the things they had to contribute and I have so much respect for each of them. Most of all though, I learned a lot about myself through this process. Having to understand myself in order to understand others forced me to reflect inwardly, and it was absolutely beneficial.
Sammy
No comments:
Post a Comment